Monday, September 22, 2014

Becca's email Sept.22nd..and September 15th



Email from September 22nd, 2014 
Hey family, are you ready for a lengthy email? Good thing you love me!

My area update:
This week turned out to be a bit of a turning point for us in
Crosspoint ward. Nothing was really happening... We were teaching a
spare few less actives, but we had no investigators to teach in our
ward. Finally on Friday during my studies I started to feel like it
was in our hands to set a goal and to actually believe in it! Then we
would find someone to teach.

So Friday during nightly planning we both felt challenged by the
prospect, but excited to set a goal of finding 3 new investigators on
Saturday. Up untill this point, we had not found a single investigator
in Crosspoint ward, but on Saturday evening we set out to contact the
last former investigators on our list. We ended up finding 3 new
people that have agreed to meet with us, two of which are very
promising potentials Smiling face with open mouth.

It's funny how we KNOW faith is the first principle of the gospel and
that miracles are wrought by faith.... But why is it that we must be
reminded of that over and over again? I know I have forgotten to
fully apply the principle of faith so often on my mission, but
whenever I have, I have always seen Gods hand shown forth!

37 Behold I say unto you, Nay; for it is by faith that miracles are
wrought; and it is by faith that angels appear and minister unto men;
wherefore, if these things have ceased wo be unto the children of men,
for it is because of unbelief, and all is vain.
Moroni 7:37

We are struggling to help a inactive, yet angelic woman in our ward.
She grew up in a dysfunctional family in the church, and has had a
very rough life. She has adopted her grandchildren that are unbaptized
teenagers, and All of her children are members of other churches in
the valley that teach anti mormon classes. She says she will be a
Mormon till she dies, and believes Joseph smith is a true prophet. But
she also believes the Pope is a true prophet as well and that there
are many true churches. ( this causes me to ask myself-- what is the
definition of truth?) We have a good relationship with her and have
been extremely bold with her (most people would have been offended by
what I said, but I felt the spirit directing me to be unapologetically
bold with her). The saying that reminds me of her is "don't be so open
minded that your brain falls out". The authority of God can be found
in only one church on the Earth at a time, and it is Christ's church
-- the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints! It's a bold claim
we make, I know! But everyone has the ability to find out the truth of
it for themselves.

We have seen miracles this week! I'm excited to see what The Lord has
in store for this ward ;)


Update on all the other exciting events of this past week!

We had the "stories of Jesus" story time hour this week at the
visitors center! We advertised it as being an event for preschool age
children and their parents. We had probably around 35 children, 10
babies, and about 30 moms in attendance. It was so much fun, and since
it is my last event in the visitors center on my mission, I was able
to conduct the program.
We had lots of fun songs with posters and props like "the wise man and
the foolish man", "head shoulders knees and toes", "popcorn popping",
"hello song", and "Jesus wants me for a sunbeam" scattered throughout
the program. The first story we told was of Jesus calming the seas.
It was so much fun for the kids as they got to make lots of sounds and
hold up a boat and imitate the story seas with a blue sheet. The
second story was of the 10 lepers, where only one that was healed by
Jesus went back to thank him -- to make it fun they wrapped ten kids
in toilet paper and covered them with red round stickers that fell off
when they were healed! The third story (told by Mwah) was of the
Shepard (with 100 sheep) and the lost sheep. We had a poster board of
99 sheep that all had names, and when it came time for me to find the
lost sheep (sister Kohler), they all helped me to find the sheep that
was desperately "baaing" at the back of the room. After I carried the
sheep to the front of the room again, the kids surrounded me as I
talked about how much I loved the sheep, and how much God loves each
one of them. They all pet the sheep roughly, as any toddlers would, so
the cotton balls were falling, and a little boy looks up at me and
just says loudly for everyone to hear "I LOVE him!" Which started a
chorus of "I love you's" to the lamby. It was pretty darn cute, and
made me think of my two favorite preschool girls at home ;). It
sounds like they are going to be doing story time every week during
the slower times of the year starting now!

The next morning, we had a conference with the Mesa mission and the
Scottsdale missions combined to hear from elder Russel m Nelson of the
quorum of the 12! We arrived two hours early to get good seats. We
were in the second row in the middle! As elder Nelson entered the
room, he BOUNCED in! He just had his 90th birthday and he is still
bouncing and grinning wherever he goes. He not only is an apostle of
The Lord, but he's also the cutest old man I have ever met! He walked
straight in and down to shake our hands. All 550 of us in attendance
lined up to shake his hand, along with elder Hansen and elder Foster
of the seventy. His smile never left his face as he greeted each
missionary individually. That was my first time ever shaking a
apostles hand-- he was just a human being, but he emulated love and
happiness that filled the chapel! I don't know of any better way to
convey some of what was spoken of in our meeting other than to list
out the points and quotes. Here goes:
-- "as I have been visiting here I have to admit that I couldn't
imagine a better place for the church. The church is well respected
yet we are still in the minority. If I were to write a prescription
for the perfect place to do missionary work, this valley couldn't be
beat."
--"halibut is the ugliest fish I've ever seen!"
--"there are 3 quorums represented in the 3 HOMBRES you shook hands
with" and he further went on to explain that the difference between
the quorums 1-3 of the seventy and 4-8 are their duration of service.
--"For some of us, once we are called, we are in it for life. Release
is a good thing when it is timely, but for some of us we have to die
for it! Be grateful you can be honorably released without having to
die for it" ;)
--"we judge mission presidents not by their number of convert
baptisms, but by how many of their missionaries' grandchildren are
sealed in the temple"
--"sisters, let's speak about marriage for a minute-- when the time
comes that Prince Charming is on one knee and says "will you be mine?"
.... Say NO! Well...say no until you are satisfied that he puts the
Lord first. Ask him if "if you had to make the choice, would you
choose Me or God?" When they put The Lord first, they will have an
increased capacity to love you. "
--when speaking about the quorum of the 12, how different they each
are, and how they make decisions purely by the spirit-" the only time
the 12 are ever united is through the spirit. Otherwise, we can't even
agree on the right way to shave!"
-- "God likes to use the unlikely to accomplish the impossible."
-- we are to use family history more in teaching. The spirit of
Elijah is real, and we as missionaries need to have it and feel it, so
it can spread to those we teach.
-- He identified Apathy as one of the greatest enemies to building the
kingdom at this time
--we have the ability on earth to have complete control over our
appetites. It is the test of our mortal bodies.

The tidbits I shared don't do the meeting justice whatsoever, but I
just wanted to share those with you. I felt so much love from elder
Nelson as he spoke, and I am so sure that he is well aware of the
struggles we face, and knows what we needed to hear. He really is a
prophet, seer, and revelator, and I am so grateful to have been
blessed enough to hear from him this week! In his closing remarks, he
invoked an apostolic blessing upon us, and the only part that I still
remember and that peirced me was when he blessed us that our families
would be taken care of and those that are not part of the fold at this
time will be blessed for our faithful service. As he said this, our
eyes were locked for over 10 seconds and I felt it was a blessing
directly given to me from my Heavenly Father through this messenger.


On the way to the vc from that meeting, we saw Ironman chilling on the
side of the road. We stopped and took pictures. Meeting two
superheroes in one day! What a great day.

I'm so grateful to be a missionary, and I don't think I can even begin
to describe how grateful I am that we have messengers here on the
Earth with God's authority to guide and direct us on our path back
home.

I love you all!
Sister Rebecca Younce


EMAIL FROM SEPTEMBER 15, 2014
Well my last transfer of my mission has officially begun. It's a
bitter sweet thing! More bitter at this point, but I'm sure when I
make it back into the arms of my family at the airport, the sweet
portion will kick in ;)

At transfer meeting on Wednesday, president Jenkins spoke about not
only helping people spiritually with the gospel of Jesus Christ, but
also helping them physically. Often people aren't ready to receive the
gospel if their physical needs aren't being met... Kind of like if a
missionary approached a door and a tired and hungry single mom
answered the door. The message of the gospel might not help her so
much at that point, but rather maybe a few groceries and a bed for
each child would ease her mind and prepare her better for being able
to recognize the blessing of the gospel later on. We left the meeting
excited to find people to serve here in Mesa.

About an hour after we left the meeting, we got a call for us to come
and help to serve the flooding victims. For those of you who don't
know... On Monday it rained more in 24 hours than it had in the
history of Arizona. I had been wholly unaware of just how bad the
flooding had effected so many people because I am in a nice/middle
class area of Mesa that was saved from the damage. Once we got to the
site of the flooding we were shocked! The water had all receded at
that point, but it had been 6-30 inches of "sitting water" for 2 days,
which was plenty of time to ruin quite a few homes. We walked around
and simply walked into each house to ask the what we could do to help.
Missionaries were all around doing anything from ripping out carpet,
using equipment to break tile and sand the floors, remove trims, sweep
inches of water out of houses through the front door, etc. It was a
humbling experience as we helped take almost every single furniture
item from some of the houses to the dumpsters, and see that there was
nothing left for these people in the homes that they could use.
All of the badly effected families were staying in motels, or often
even on the floors of local family members houses.

I wonder why the flooding had to hit the worst in the poorest
neighborhoods, where no one had flood insurance, and they were already
struggling to figuratively "keep their heads above water" financially.
We don't have all of those answers, but I did get to witness some of
the blessings that have already come, and I'm sure we will continue to
realize more and more.

The flood victims were angry about their misfortunes for the first 1-2
days, but as soon as the missionaries and Mesa city trucks started to
swoop in, their despair turned to hope and gratitude. There was one
couple that was pretty memorable for sister Kohler and I to help out
with. They live in a very small, humble home, and they welcomed our
assistance. We helped them remove items from soaked boxes that had
been in garage storage, and put the soaked items out to dry and then
into new dry boxes. It was heart wrenching to watch the wife find her
memory book with all of her wedding pictures and young children's
pictures at the bottom of a soaked box. Every page was ruined, but
she just held the book to her chest for an hour or so as she watched
us continue to work. Their house had been hit hard, and their carpet
would have to be removed completely, and their walls would need to be
repaired and the trim removed.
Before we left to go help another family, we had a golden little
nugget of a conversation with the very non-talkative husband. He let
us know that he had "never cared much for Mormons." And that he had
had 2 different Mormon bosses that had each been very dishonest and
bad bosses. But that since this flood has happened, his view of
Mormons has changed. He told us "well you Mormons must not be all that
bad. In fact, you at least raise your kids to be good Christian
people."

That warmed my heart to hear. We weren't there to proselyte, but we
were there purely to assist those in need. But it became very apparent
this past week that we were there repairing more than just homes.

To finish off the week, entire mission met on Saturday at 7 am with
the mayor of Mesa, and got to work! We had to leave early to go help a
struggling visitors center that had been bombarded with hundreds of
people with only one elderly couple on shift there, but we hear most
missionaries stayed for more than 12 hours. The Lord works in
mysterious ways, and I'm so grateful to have been able to assist in
the clean up efforts for 3 days this week!

It's been a fun, gloomy, happy, sad, long, tiring, and amazing week
towards the close of the greatest 18 months of my entire life thus
far. I'm so grateful for this opportunity to serve in this capacity. I
wouldn't trade it for the world! Getting to represent Jesus Christ for
18 months in Mesa Arizona will define my entire life.

I love you all!

Sister Becca Younce


No comments:

Post a Comment