Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Fourth 7/8/13


This past week was pretty grande :)  


On Wednesday, we had a "Mission Tour" where we met President and Sister Jenkins!  They taught us so much even in the first meeting.  It was amazing to hear from President, especially once we found out that they had spent 5 straight days at the MTC being taught by the best teachers you can get -- the 12 apostles! (one was missing, but then there was President Monson there for part of the time! They had sacrament meeting with him ten feet from them the whole time..)  They also told us about their experiences with Elder Bednar as they were set apart and the advice they gave to them specifically for our mission.  I have more faith than ever that our mission will be going in the right direction :)  Just a little bit about President and Sister Jenkins:  They are from Idaho.  He is a Dentist.  When he smiles he is the exact replica of the Mitt Romney Charicature.  They both have deeply embedded smile lines, and they are extremely caring and close to the spirit.  They aren't afraid of showing emotion, and many times while we sang or stood to say "Our Purpose" they shed tears.  They are so ready to serve.  Whenever he is near, I honestly feel like I might end up on the front cover of the newspaper -- President Jenkins just has a powerful presence.  They are already taking to the Visitor's Center and the amazing resources there so well -- I can tell there will be a good partnership developing between the VC president and the Mission President.  It will be valuable, no doubt. Especially with Temple lights and the Easter Pageant! I love them and trust them already.  On a side note, all three of their sons are in medical school.  

Here in Arizona, EVERYONE goes up North for the Fourth of July!  It was nearly impossible to find people home this week.  It was even worse on the Holiday itself!  We got to watch a little Parade through our area that is put on by the neighborhood each year.  Everyone dresses up and goes in bikes and wagons, or cars.  Its really cute and people get pretty into it.  There was a little Betsy Ross and even a Statue of Liberty that I spotted!  It was a mixture of LDS and non-LDS neighbors and the parade ended at a Bishop's house.  There was a flag ceremony there, a few speaking parts, some singing, and then of course donuts for breakfast!  I would love to see some of these things incorporated into our neighborhood back home!  It gives a real sense of community that I am learning to cherish.  We had dinner at a member's home where there are two GIANT pet african tortoises!  It was fun watching these giant mounds eat watermelon enthusiastically and roll in the mud!  What a weird pet to have...
We had Mission President Fireside last night!  For those of you that don't know... it is a fireside put on by the President where there are new converts that speak.  In between each speaker there are musical numbers put on by the missionaries.  The musical numbers last night were AMAZING!  The best one was by my huge, Samoan district leader who has an AMAZING voice, and my Zone Leader that is heading home next week!  I got to sing twice.  Once with a small group of Sisters and then we sang at the close, "come unto christ" with the VC Choir.  The fireside is pretty stressful because if you dont have at least one investigator show up -- you have to leave!  You aren't allowed there without investigators, even if you are in a musical number.  The pressure is pretty high for the missionaries with flaky investigators... Thankfully, both Don and Faye came!  It is really an amazing spiritual experience for investigators and it happens every 6 weeks.  I can't wait for the next one!
So I only have another minute or two... but I wanted to let you know about the upcoming baptisms again!  Don will be baptized Saturday night and Faye on Sunday by her newly activated husband!  

Faye has progressed beautifully.  Both her and Ed are SO excited and it might be the most well-attended baptism here for years.  People have been working with them to get them to this day for 35 years now.  How did I get so lucky as to get to see the fruit of their labors?!  I must hug Faye 5 times each time I see her.  There couldn't be a cuter lady.  I will get to go to their sealing next year!!! I cry from joy when I even think about it.  Don is also so ready!  He is so strong and even though his family has tried to have many interventions with him, he has stayed strong.  He finally feels like he has a family.  I am so full of love for them right now, and I never want it to end!
I have gotta go.  I love you all!  By next P-day I will be able to tell you what I will be doing next transfer!  We find out right after Don's baptism.  I probably won't train... but we shall see!  I will miss Sister Brown for sure, however. 
Love you forever!!!!!!

Sister Younce

No comments:

Post a Comment