Tuesday, June 25, 2013

First Baptism- 6/10/13


What a great week!  So as I said last week -- I am a full-field missionary this transfer! This has already turned out to be both a blessing and a huge challenge! Planning for every single minute of the next day is tough in such a small area! I don't think I will ever complain again about not having enough time in our area because of the VC again :) 
Its so amazing to see the direct correlation between my hard work and diligence at being faithful with my studies, prayers, and strict obedience-- and my investigators.  During weeks when I have allowed my mind to be distracted for even short amounts of time and did not work hard to fill my mind with thoughts of the work of the ministry every minute of the work day instead, I noticed a big difference.  I not only did not get as much from my studies and did not feel the spirit with me constantly, but I would also not feel fulfilled and happy.  This is a time that I have to give my 100% -- and that is a daily struggle!  Giving 90% seems good enough sometimes, but I have seen the true miracles happen when I have given my 100% and when I both work, and think about the work diligently.  When you head out on the mission you really do put your desires, mind, and heart out on the altar of sacrifice for the Lord!  Its only a year and a half of my eternity -- why not do it 100%? ;)
One of my biggest regrets I have is that I didn't know the scriptures well enough before I came out!  Just reading a little each day and reading with the family in family scripture study is NOT ENOUGH! We each honestly NEED the companionship of the spirit as we study the scriptures when we do sit down to read them.  I have learned to love the Book of Mormon more than I ever EVER thought I could already on my mission -- and I still am a greenie out here!  I crave my time sitting down with that book of mormon, and personal study is never ever long enough.  -- try to get there!  Ask the Lord fervently for an increased desire to read the Book of Mormon. Pray for guidance as you read and for the spirit to abide with you.  You have to ask for it before the Lord can give it to you.  I promise you won't regret it :) You can learn to crave that time with you and the Lord as you read as well!  As you pray and read, it really is quite simply just time that you spend with your Heavenly Father each day.  How important is our relationship with our parents on Earth? Think about how much more we even need that time with our Heavenly Father! 
Okay, I will get off of my Book of Mormon soap box now.  Thanks for sticking with me through that :)
So this past week there were transfers.  36 new missionaries came in, including 7 new VC sisters!  They are all super cute.  It makes me sad to not get to be in there with my sisters each and every day anymore! I do get to go to the VC and see my sisters on Saturday mornings for VC prep meeting however, and what a blessing that is!  Its like a family reunion each week.  If I feel that good each time I see them .. I can't even fathom the glee and euphoria I will have when I get to have my family's arms wrapped around me again!  

Lori and Ryan were baptised on Friday and Confirmed on Sunday!  The baptismal service was wonderful and there were at least 90 people there on a Friday night during the summer! Ryan stood up to share some feelings at the end and he would never have stopped if it wasn't for his mom grabbing him :)  He thanked Sister Brown and I sincerily for helping them learn about the truth and for being so patient and his friend.  Ahhhh I was crying like a baby in the front row!!!  It really was such a joy for that to happen, and then Sunday I felt even more joy ... if that is even possible!!!  When they were confirmed and received the holy Ghost, I just felt the shear power of that blessing as the prayer was said.  My body was overcome with the Holy Ghost and Lori, who had said that she had never felt any of the feelings of the Spirit before she didn't think.... couldn't stop her body from tingling for quite a while even after the blessing.  She felt the warmth and come through the top of her head and afterwards she was just beside herself with happiness and peace!  I love those two so much! Ryan will make a great missionary someday.  (he is 11 going on 35)

I also was so happy to have gotten to talk to Faye Felts and Ed Felts this week.  Her aunt died on Tuesday, and usually people might use that as an excuse not to go to church or keep up the scripture reading but not her!  I truly believe she has been converted this time as well as for Ed.  He is working to be able to baptize her and I believe he will be ready in just a few weeks if he stick with it!  They are so utterly cute together and I hope I can go into their sealing near the end of my mission! Someday I want you all to meet Faye.  She really is just the sweetest person in the entire world.  I also have high hopes for a 14 year old girl named Mina! Although her father is practically atheist and her mom is buddhist, she is so close to the spirit.  She gave the most beautiful prayer the other day and all of us had tears in our eyes including Mina when we opened our eyes after the prayer.  She feels the Lord's love and the spirit wrapping warmth around her when she prays and she is so dilligent about reading and studying the scriptures each day!  Despite her family issues and the early hour at which her ward meets, I know she will make it.  She enjoys our visits just as much as we do, and I have gained such a testimony of the influence of good and faithful friends during the teenage years!



Alas, as usual I am just about out of time.  Drats.  
I hear you all are going to the beach this next week!  Don't have too much fun without me!  It reached 120 degrees this week.  Yes you read that right.  Getting in water sounds like HEAVEN RIGHT NOW!!! Send lots of pictures and send me some lovin!  I love you all!!!!!!
 Feel free to keep sending to the VC -- the sisters in our house still go there each day and bring me home my letters --  it is so much quicker than going through the mission office!  Also Dearelders are good -- go ahead and send them away :) the mission office sorts those out pretty quick.  
I love you.  Stay safe!  I pray for each one of you individually each night.  Mwah!!!!
Sister Younce

No comments:

Post a Comment