Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Transfer 4 already?!

9/2/13

It's a super busy p-day, like usual!  Started the day out with a service project where we go to work on Christmas lights for the temple (prepping the lights).  I am SO excited for Christmas here!  While at the service project, we were informed of how all the lights get put up and the massive effort by all the stakes in Mesa that go into it!  Each stake has certain assignments and lights each year so its just a big Christmas time project that everyone can participate in each year.  I hear its absolutely amazing to get to take part in beautifying Temple Grounds.  I know a few months ago when we did yardwork on the grounds right outside of the temple, it was the most satisfying yardwork I had ever done!  (not saying too much in reality :) )  The lights start going up in October, and considering it will be much cooler by then, October can't come soon enough!!!

So last monday after P-day was over, we finally got word that Sister Rios and I would be moving to a new place!  It was a little hectic getting everything together since usually pday is the day you get to pack and clean, but we managed it by staying up till 2-3 am 2 nights in a row! (yes, still 6 am wake up time!) We moved into a light, new, and bright apartment!   It's a pretty small place, but adequate for missionary needs.  The downsides are that we have NO dressers, drawers, any kinds of shelves... nothin!  So I have been getting ghetto-creative with some cardboard boxes and my suitcases.  Sounds fancy shmansy, huh?  We will be going to dollar tree to bring some life to our apartment today.  Oh!! The life of a missionary :)  Sometimes I dream at night of my lush, pink room :)  But then I remember.... this is AWESOME! I am so blessed to be able to spend 18 months serving the Lord.  Seriously,  I could be living IN a cardboard box as a missionary and it would still be awesome!

My new roommates are sister Hamstead and Gordon.  Sister Hamstead is a little southern belle from Georgia!  She is cute and has a laugh that lasts all day every day! Sister Gordon and Sister Hamstead are pretty goofy looking together because Sister Gordon is 6 3" and is pale with light blonde hair.  I'm no longer the palest, tallest, or blondest! Yayyy! She is from Utah and is hilarious!  It is actually her birthday today, so sister Rios and I tiptoed around last night before bed and managed to decorate the apartment with 3 banners, pom poms and some homemade signs :)  We wanted to make a cake since her mom sent her cake mix... but once again, OH the life of a missionary!  We can't even scrounge up an egg!  Our kitchen is so barren by the end of the month in missionary apartments because everyone is out of money and basically survives on dry cereal for a week! :)
Another little downside is that we are further from our area now -- about 2 miles, wheras we were about .1 miles away previously!

We had to hand over Ken to the other sisters that took Grandview 1st this week!  It was painful.  I felt so empty inside and like I was going through a big breakup during our last lesson!  But as time has gone on this week, I feel better and better about how things are now.  Sister Smith and Simmons are full field this transfer so they can really give Ken and Lynda the time, attention, and prayers they need!  They are in good hands, and thankfully President Jenkins actually asked me specifically to make sure I go on exchanges at least every other week with those sisters so Ken can still see me!  I will obey for sure :))

Sister Rios and I are finding the most fulfillment in teaching at the VC right now!  We have about 4-5 investigators that meet with us regularly there!  It's awesome to know that I can hold onto these people even if we transfer areas! I will hopefully tell you more about some people we are working with next week!  Alas, I am short on time today!

Before I go... 2 things!  First of all, it rained cats and dogs the other day!  I couldn't believe it! I thought I was dreaming that I was in NC again!  Its nice to know that the streets were finally washed clean.  It doesn't happen enough and it starts smelling bad outside here eventually!

Secondly, I got to talk on the phone to Elder Romney?! A Zone Leader from Tempe mission came in to the VC ( we work with missionaries from like 5 missions here) and asked me where I was from.  He asked me then if I knew Elder Romney, and I told him he was one of my oldest and best Childhood friends! ( I was pretty excited!) Then a few minutes later as I am starting a movie for him, he is on the phone and suddenly hands the phone to me.  I got to talk to Devin for 10 minutes! It was so awkward as we struggled to use "Elder" and "Sister"  but I was so awesome to hear a familiar voice!  I was in shock for the next hour after that, then suddenly Tanna came in!  So then I just was beside myself!  Love it! But its funny how much your emotions and feelings are heightened on your mission.  I shake with excitement over the littlest things, and I am pretty sure if my family or Elder Moss walked into the VC, I would probably just faint!

I have to go now, But I love you all!!!  Tell me how everything is going! Your weekend in Brevard looks awesome!

Sister Younce

No comments:

Post a Comment